Energy Performance Certificates – How to get one for your Home

Energy Performance Certificates – How to get one for your Home

There is plenty of paperwork that you need to get up to date with in order to complete the sale of your home. One that can often go overlooked, is the buildings Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

Though you should be advised about an EPC by your estate agent (as all ads for properties should show EPC rating), if you’re choosing to privately sell your property, or haven’t yet placed your home on the market, it can be easily forgotten about.

When do you need it?

It is a legal requirement that potential buyers of your home can view the house's EPC and you can get issued with a penalty charge of £200 by Trading Standards if you fail to provide one.

You actually need to try and have an EPC available for viewing within the first 7 days of the property first being put on the market. So if this isn’t the case, get one as soon as possible to avoid the fine.

Once you have the EPC certificate, you don’t need to renew it for 10 years.

Not all dwellings need an EPC. Listed buildings do not need one, and those wanting to improve the energy rating of these homes should consult their local council for advice.

What does it show?

An EPC shows the energy efficiency of the property and has suggestions of how it can be improved. It can be used by potential buyers to get an estimate of how much their energy bills will be, and what improvements they may need to make to the building. Like with fridges and other white goods, the property is rated from A to G, with A as the most efficient.

How do you get a certificate?

To get your Energy Performance Certificate, you must find an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor and pay to have an assessment carried out on your home. You can find an accredited assessor by filling out the form on this website.

Intransit are a removals company operating in Wiltshire and surrounding areas. To receive a quote for your relocation, please call us on 01225 759200.