Some fear a broken vase or a chipped bookcase when they move premises, but many overlook the devastating effects of a lost document. Important paperwork should be a serious concern when you’re planning a transition, whether you are moving house or office premises.
Here are a few tips to help you keep your documents safe and retrievable during and after your move:
- Start early. If you leave your packing until the last minute, you won’t have time to organise your papers and ensure that they are stored carefully.
- Get organised. Sort your paperwork into categories, for example personal (passports, birth certificates and life insurance); home (council tax, buildings insurance, rental/mortgage details and utilities); financial (bank statements, credit card bills and loan documents); vehicles (car ownership documents, car insurance, MOT, driving license counterpart and service history); business (business accounts, invoices, receipts, buildings insurance and utilities); and moving details (removal firm documentation and new mortgage/rental agreement).
- Downsize. It is important that you keep bank statements for at least six years for tax purposes, but you may find that you have accumulated some paperwork that you no longer need. Junk mail and superfluous documentation can be disposed of, ensuring that only the important documents are preserved. You can also use this opportunity to take care of any documents that might be about to expire, for example your MOT or contents insurance.
- Invest in stationary. Multi-pocketed folders will help to keep documents pristine and ensure that they are easy to locate. This will also make it easier to update your address with banks, insurance providers and other important institutions once you have the time.
- Make copies. It may be worth buying an extra folder to store photocopies of your most vital papers, such as birth certificates and passports. Keep these separate from the originals, just in case, and make sure that any boxes containing documents are clearly labelled and carefully packed.
Whether you’re moving from a house in one street to a flat in the next, relocating to a new country or switching to a new office space, Intransit can help. We understand how important it is to transport documents and other items safely and securely. In addition to our removals service, we provide storage facilities and can even supply vital packaging materials. For more information, get in touch using our contact us page.