Government Organisations You Need to Contact Before Moving Overseas

Government Organisations You Need to Contact Before Moving Overseas

Following on from our previous blog about achieving a successful move abroad, we decided to compile a list of some of the most important government organisation to contact before making the move overseas.

Tax office

Whether you are a UK citizen leaving the country to live or work abroad, or are a foreign national returning to your home country after a period working in the UK, you must inform HMRC. This will allow them to work out any tax implications, which may include issuing you with a rebate if you have overpaid tax. Anyone who doesn’t normally fill out a self-assessment tax return need to fill out a P85 form and send it to HMRC. For further advice check out the HMRC website.


If you are retiring abroad, or intend to still be living overseas when you reach pensionable age, you will need to contact the International Pension Centre. They will advise you on what you need to do to claim your pension overseas, plus any financial consequences for your pension of living abroad. It’s important to note that, depending on where you move to, your pension payments may be frozen at the current rate which could significantly affect your finances in years to come. Read the government’s advice about claiming your state pension if you live abroad here.

Electoral office

Even though you won’t be living in the UK anymore, you are still entitled to vote in UK elections. To do this, you’ll need to register as an overseas voter. Use the government’s ‘Electoral registration form for a British citizen living overseas’ to claim your right to vote while living abroad.

Benefits office

If you are currently claiming any benefits, such as jobseekers, you will need to contact the relevant organisation. Take a look at the government’s advice for claiming benefits if you live abroad to find out what benefits you might still be entitled to while living overseas.


You will need to contact your GP and dentist so you can be removed from the NHS register. If you are remaining within the European Economic Area (EEA) then you will usually still be entitled to some level of healthcare funded by the UK government. Take a look at the NHS’s advice for moving abroad for more information.

Local council

It’s a good idea to give your local council a forwarding address before you leave the country, so they can pass on any important information to you. Use the government’s local council finder to get the contact details of your council.

Intransit have been helping people organise successful moves overseas for years, so if you have any worries or concerns we will be happy to advise you. Get in touch today by emailing us or calling us on 01225 759200.